216518, ATHENIAN, Naples, Museo Archeologico Nazionale, Naples, Museo Archeologico Nazionale, RC117
- Vase Number: 216518
- Fabric: ATHENIAN
- Technique: RED-FIGURE
- Shape Name: PELIKE
- Provenance: ITALY, CUMAE
- Date: -450 to -400
- Attributed To: SHUVALOV P by BEAZLEY
- Decoration: A: WOMAN WITH LYRE AND JUGGLING STICK
- Current Collection: Naples, Museo Archeologico Nazionale: 85982
- Previous Collections:
- Naples, Museo Archeologico Nazionale: RC117
- Publication Record: Beazley, J.D., Attic Red-Figure Vase-Painters, 2nd edition (Oxford, 1963): 1209.57
Beazley, J.D., Attische Vasenmaler des rotfigurigen Stils (Tübingen, 1925): 438.8
Bullettino Archeologico Napolitano: N.S.5, PL.10.22
Carpenter, T.H., with Mannack, T. and Mendonca, M., Beazley Addenda, 2nd edition (Oxford, 1989): 346
Fiorelli, G., Notizia dei vasi dipinti rinvenuti a Cuma nel MDCCCLVI, posseduti da Sua Altezza Reale il conte di Siracusa (Naples, 1856): PL.17.2
Vasi Antichi, Museo Archeologio Nazionale di Napoli (Naples 2009): 77 (COLOUR OF A AND B)
- AVI Web: https://www.avi.unibas.ch/DB/searchform.html?ID=5687
- AVI Record Number: 5465
- CAVI Collection: Naples 85,982.
- CAVI Lemma: RF pelike. From Cumae. Shuvalov Painter. Third quarter fifth. Middle period,
430-420 (Lezzi-Hafter 88-89).
- CAVI Subject: A: a woman, with a lyre in the left hand, juggles a stick with the right. B:
a woman. [The woman on A rushes toward the woman on B who is waiting.]
- CAVI Inscriptions: A: at the top of the scene, widely spaced: [Ζ]εῦ σῶτερ.
- CAVI Comments: = RC 117. L.-H. points out that the letters ΕΥΣΩΤΕΡ cover the whole scene
horizontally and reads: `Gut, Retter', which I think is wrong. There is room for
a zeta at left but I do not know if it was ever written. Perhaps [Ζ]ευ Σωτερ̣
For Ζευς Σωτηρ, see LSJ, s.v. σωτηρ. The words are thought of as spoken by the
woman, although they are not written from her mouth. The inscription is in
applied white. Ionic alphabet. D-shaped rho.
- CAVI Number: 5465
- AVI Bibliography: dr. (A). — ARV (1963), 1209/57. — Lezzi-Hafter (1976), 85, *87, 104/S 21,
pls. 2 (profile) and 92,a-b (A, B) — Add. (1989), 346.
- CAVI / AVI Data from Henry Immerwahr's Corpus of Attic Vase Inscriptions (CAVI), updated by Rudoph Wachter's Attic Vase Inscriptions (AVI)
- Pleiades URI: https://pleiades.stoa.org/places/432808
- Coordinates: 40.847093,14.056149
- Pleiades Coordinates: 40.848005575,14.05571115
Link to this record using the address https://www.beazley.ox.ac.uk/record/F24F6C74-78C9-4C14-86B5-50917E1837F7