9016810, ATHENIAN, Salamis, Museum
- Vase Number: 9016810
- Fabric: ATHENIAN
- Shape Name: CUP FRAGMENT
- Provenance: GREECE, SALAMIS
- Current Collection: Salamis, Museum
- AVI Web: https://www.avi.unibas.ch/DB/searchform.html?ID=7684
- AVI Record Number: 7423
- CAVI Collection: Salamis (Greece).
- CAVI Lemma: Cup (Hatzipolakis, Isidoros, "clay pot," Lapatin). From Salamis, Peristeria
cave. Unattributed. Contemporary with Euripides (pot); second century (Gr.).
- CAVI Inscriptions: Gr.: either ΕΥΡΙΠΠ or ΕΥΡΙΠΙ.
- CAVI Comments: The Gr. is said to be much later than the pot. Clinton, relying on the first
reading as reported to him, suggests Ευριππ[η], for which see LGPN ii. This is
denied by H. and I. Phelps points out that the cave today is much too
low-ceilinged and narrow for human use. The cave was first associated with
Euripides by Sylvia Benton and so is the inscription by Lapatin and others. This
is highly speculative.
- CAVI Number: 7423
- AVI Bibliography: E-mail communications to Aegeannet, January 17 [[no year]] (K. Lapatin, K.
Clinton), 19 (W. Phelps, Hatzipolakis), 20 (Isidoros).
- CAVI / AVI Data from Henry Immerwahr's Corpus of Attic Vase Inscriptions (CAVI), updated by Rudoph Wachter's Attic Vase Inscriptions (AVI)
Link to this record using the address https://www.beazley.ox.ac.uk/record/E9C0E457-117D-4E0D-8558-D70B3E25F5C3