217974, ATHENIAN, London, British Museum, Unknown, Blacas Collection, London, British Museum, 1867,0508.1031
- Vase Number: 217974
- Fabric: ATHENIAN
- Technique: RED-FIGURE
- Shape Name: CUP
- Provenance: ITALY, NOLA
- Date: -400 to -300
- Attributed To: MELEAGER P by BEAZLEY
- Decoration: A: WOMAN WITH FLOWER SEATED BETWEEN ATHLETES (YOUTHS), ONE WITH STRIGIL
I: TRITON WITH TRIDENT
- Current Collection: London, British Museum: E109
- Previous Collections:
- Publication Record: Beazley, J.D., Attic Red-Figure Vase-Painters, 2nd edition (Oxford, 1963): 1412.56
Curti, F., La Bottega del pittore di Meleagro, RdA Supplement 25 (Rome, 2001): PL.67 (I, A)
Kathariou, K., To ergasterio tou zographou tou Meleagrou kai he epoche tou: paratereseis sten attike keramike tou protou tetartou tou 4 ou ai. p.Ch. (Thessaloniki, 2002): 371, 377, 403, FIGS.31A, 43A (DRAWING OF PROFILE AND OF UH), PL.36C (I)
Lenormant, C. and de Witte, J., Elite des monuments ceramographiques (1837-61): III, PL.33 (COLOUR DRAWING OF I)
Lexicon Iconographicum Mythologiae Classicae: VIII, PL.47, TRITONES 10 (I)
- AVI Web: https://www.avi.unibas.ch/DB/searchform.html?ID=4663
- AVI Record Number: 4491
- LIMC ID: 1271
- LIMC Web: http://ark.dasch.swiss/ark:/72163/080e-73b578c1c96a7-7
- British Museum Link: https://www.britishmuseum.org/collection/object/G_1867-0508-1031
- CAVI Collection: London E 109.
- CAVI Lemma: RF cup. From Nola. Meleager Painter. First quarter fourth.
- CAVI Subject: Int.: Triton. A: athletes and seated woman. B: youth (preserved).
- CAVI Inscriptions: Int.: Nηρευς(?).
- CAVI Comments: Inscribed? C. Smith says that Panofka thought he could read Nηρευς, but Smith
does not have this reading. Beazley says that the vase had been cleaned.
Panofka's reading (which I have not seen) may have been imaginary, or false,
especially since the figure is Triton. Beazley also says the woman with the
athletes on A may represent the phyle.
- CAVI Number: 4491
- AVI Bibliography: C.H. Smith in BM Cat. E (1896), 125. — ARV (1963), 1412/56.
- CAVI / AVI Data from Henry Immerwahr's Corpus of Attic Vase Inscriptions (CAVI), updated by Rudoph Wachter's Attic Vase Inscriptions (AVI)
- Pleiades URI: https://pleiades.stoa.org/places/432981
- Coordinates: 40.930481,14.52847
- Pleiades Coordinates: 40.926823,14.524545
Link to this record using the address https://www.beazley.ox.ac.uk/record/C90C2BE4-0345-4143-B214-CD58D341D9D3