5822, Ardea(?) or Tuscania(?), Ara del Tufo
- Record number: 5822
- Site: Ardea(?) or Tuscania(?)
- Building or zone: Ara del Tufo
- Roof element: Acroteria, human statues
- Comparanda: Face: Acquarossa, Tuscania antefixes
- Remarks: Ridge acroterion of seated draped male. 9 small holes around crown of head, 2 with iron nails, 4 smaller ones inside. Right ear thickly modelled, left has been flattened. Forehead hair in straight line across forehead as if cut half of pearl-locks row, above 2 pearl-lock rows. At side of head and back, flat and undetailed. Red on himation on back too, otherwise no indication of cloth. Face mouldmade, rest handmade, hollow. Th body at break ca. 1.4. Across base of neck raised ridge as if for chiton but no painted indication. Himation may have painted border. Gaultier 1990, p. 275: Dressed in chiton and himation, must have worn crown of metal, therefore deified deceased or god; p. 271, said to have come from Ardea, similar with Tuscania however. All proveniences are unsubstantiated in Louvre, except for recent attributions to Tuscania.
- Bibliography: Art et civilisation des Etrusques 1955, p. 49, no. 30bis; Gaultier 1990, pp. 271-276, Pl. 50.2 &4, Pl. 51.1&2; Gaultier 1993, pp. 183-187, figs. 2, 4, 5, 7, 10 right, 11 left; Danner 1993a, p. 100; Winter 2009a, p. 296, 4.E.1, Ill. 4.14.1
- Publication record: A propos de quelques éléments de décor architectural archaiques en terre cuite conserves au Musée du Louvre
Art et civilisation des Etrusques, Musée du Louvre
Die Dekoration auf First und Giebelschrägen in der archaischen Baukunst Mittelitaliens
Symbols of Wealth and Power: Architectural Terracotta Decoration in Etruria and Central Italy, 640-510 B.C.
Terrecotte architettoniche arcaiche da Tuscania: le collezioni del Louvre e gli scavi recenti nella Ara del Tufo
- Type of decoration: Seated draped male
- Current Collection: Musée du Louvre: Cp 5158
- Mouldmade: yes + no
- Height: 31
- Width: 17
- Clay: 10R 4/6
- Paint: Black on hair. Surface 2.5YR 5/6. Dark red on himation 10R 3/6.
- Condition: Top of head chipped away; broken through lap.
- Height head: 9.5
- Distance outer eyes: 5.7(?)
- Width nose bottom: 2.4
Link to this record using the address https://www.beazley.ox.ac.uk/record/C89ED08F-52B9-484D-94F9-125EB121766C