3573, Poggio Civitate, Courtyard building
- Record number: 3573
- Site: Poggio Civitate
- Building or zone: Courtyard building
- Roof element: Acroteria, human statues
- Remarks: Large hollow male head. Right side preserved. Handmade. Th wall 8.7(!). W right eye 5.6. H ear 6.5. 2 layers of clay: central hollow, round core (Th wall 2.4), over which face and hair are built up (max.Th near nose 5.2). Finger impressions on inside. Beard broken off(?). Hair arches widely around ear top and back. Projecting jaw-line in front of ear. Deep and wide channel around eye. Finger-marked nostril. Finger-made mouth with 3 deeper impressions at sides and center; vertical finger-line cleft in chin.
- Bibliography: Poggio Civitate 1970, p. 27, no.9, Pls. 13-15; Sprenger & Bartoloni 1983, pl. 56, p. 93 "530-520 B.C."; Edlund-Berry 1992, I.3.1; Winter 2009a, pp. 196-198, 3.E.1.a
- Publication record: Poggio Civitate (Murlo, Siena): the Archaic Sanctuary. Catalogue of the exhibition, Florence-Siena, 1970
Symbols of Wealth and Power: Architectural Terracotta Decoration in Etruria and Central Italy, 640-510 B.C.
The Etruscans: their history, art, and architecture
The seated and standing statue akroteria from Poggio Civitate (Murlo)
- Type of decoration: Male head
- Current Collection: Antiquarium di Poggio Civitate: 67-423 110462
- Mouldmade: no
- Height: 20.4
- Width: 14.7
- MPD: 23.5
- Clay: 2.5YR 4/6
- Paint: Surface color 5YR 5/6.
- Width nose bottom: 5.1
- Width mouth: 6.6
Link to this record using the address https://www.beazley.ox.ac.uk/record/C77E965A-7C65-49B0-A391-F0B3FCE606DE