213816, ATHENIAN, Paris, Musée du Louvre, G423
- Vase Number: 213816
- Fabric: ATHENIAN
- Technique: RED-FIGURE
- Shape Name: KRATER, BELL
- Date: -475 to -425
- Inscriptions: Named: THESEUS
- Attributed To: Circle of POLYGNOTOS, GROUP OF by BEAZLEY
KOMARIS P by BEAZLEY
- Decoration: A: THESEUS OR PELEUS (NAMED) WITH SWORD, PURSUING WOMAN, WOMAN FLEEING
B: DRAPED YOUTHS, SOME WITH STAFFS
- Current Collection: Paris, Musée du Louvre: G423
- Publication Record: Beazley, J.D., Attic Red-Figure Vase-Painters, 2nd edition (Oxford, 1963): 1064.6
Corpus Vasorum Antiquorum: PARIS, LOUVRE 4, III.Id.15, PL.(223) 23.1.3 View Whole CVA Plates
Lexicon Iconographicum Mythologiae Classicae: VII, PL.665, THESEUS 290 (A)
Servadei, C., La figura di Theseus nella ceramica Attica, Iconografia e iconologia del mito nell' Atene arcaica e classica (Bologna, 2005): 163, FIG.70 (A)
- AVI Web: https://www.avi.unibas.ch/DB/searchform.html?ID=6781
- AVI Record Number: 6545
- LIMC ID: 10537
- LIMC Web: http://ark.dasch.swiss/ark:/72163/080e-7438d4147a91b-2
- CAVI Collection: Paris, Louvre G 423.
- CAVI Lemma: RF bell krater. Komaris Painter. Third quarter fifth.
- CAVI Subject: A: a young Theseus pursuing an unidentified woman; at left a female
companion, fleeing. B: three draped youths, two of them with sticks.
- CAVI Inscriptions: A: centered above Theseus' head and very close to it: Θεσευς.
- CAVI Comments: Theseus is the reading accepted by Beazley in JHS and CB; it was originally
the reading of Pottier and Heydemann (see CVA). CVA, however read: (π)ε(λ)ϝυς,
i.e. (Π)ελευς, changing the subject to the pursuit of Thetis by Peleus. It is no
doubt an early amatory exploit of Theseus, of which there are many.
- CAVI Number: 6545
- AVI Bibliography: Photo (A). — E. Pottier, CVA Louvre 4, France 5 (1926), III I d, pl. 23,1,3.
— Beazley (1927b), 147. — CB (1931–63), ii, 81. — ARV (1963), 1064/6.
- CAVI / AVI Data from Henry Immerwahr's Corpus of Attic Vase Inscriptions (CAVI), updated by Rudoph Wachter's Attic Vase Inscriptions (AVI)
Link to this record using the address https://www.beazley.ox.ac.uk/record/BBDC345E-C460-441E-BE37-E7744620DAE5