4467, Vignanello, Piano del Mulino, Molesino
- Record number: 4467
- Site: Vignanello
- Building or zone: Piano del Mulino, Molesino
- Roof element: Revetment plaques,figural
- Remarks: Figural relief revetment plaque with warriors on horseback to right. 4 nail holes. Continuous frieze cut into smaller plaques probably to cover ends of mutuli. H top roll 1.3, bottom roll 1.1. Th top roll 2.2, bottom roll 2.1. Diam nail holes 0.5-0.6. H horses 15.7, H rider 14. Together with 2 similar plaques from Rome (Andrén 1940, Forum I:3 and Sporadic I:1) placed at head of long series of representations. Features signifying early date: warrior carries shield on wrong side and spear in left hand. 2 horse heads, forequarters and legs. Near horse very rounded, with riders leg cutting into it. To left at edge, 2 more horse muzzles. Left edge cut after firing, right edge part of mould. Below horse, pendent lotus(?).
- Bibliography: Andrén 1940, p. 150, no. 1, Pl. 57:188; Gli Etruschi. Nuove ricerche e scoperte 1972, p. 94, no. 187, Pl. XXXI.b; Andrén 1974, p. 8, Pl. XXVIII.64; De Lucia Brolli 1991b, p. 92; Winter 2009a, pp. 282-283, 4.D.8.a, fig. 4.25, Ill. 4.11.1
- Publication record: Architectural terracottas from Etrusco-Italic Temples
Civita Castellana. Il Museo Archeologico dell'Agro Falisco
Gli Etruschi. Nuove ricerche e scoperte
Osservazioni sulle terrecotte architettoniche etrusco-italiche
Symbols of Wealth and Power: Architectural Terracotta Decoration in Etruria and Central Italy, 640-510 B.C.
- Type of decoration: Armed riders to right
- Current Collection: Museo Archeologico di Agro Falisco: 26280
- Mouldmade: yes
- Height: 19.2
- Width: 19.1
- Clay: 2.5YR 4/6-3/6
- Paint: No paint preserved.
- Thickness plaque: 1.7
- Thickness including relief: 2.4
Link to this record using the address https://www.beazley.ox.ac.uk/record/A7CE45E3-EABD-43BA-B1F1-D41F4893376E