9016462, ATHENIAN, Athens, Agora Museum, P4627
- Vase Number: 9016462
- Fabric: ATHENIAN
- Shape Name: TILE
- Provenance: GREECE, ATHENS, AGORA
- Date: -525 to -475
- Current Collection: Athens, Agora Museum: P4627
- CAVI Collection: Athens, Agora P 4627.
- CAVI Lemma: Fr. of a pan tile. From Athens. Unattributed. Late sixth -
early fifth (Lang). *Agora 21, 20/D 32, pl. 9 (dr.). Young,
Hesp. Suppl. 2 (1939) 121/B 47, figs. 87 (photo.) and 144 (dr.
of inscription). Vanderpool, Hesp. Suppl. 8, 400, n. 20.
- CAVI Subject: Undecoratd.
- CAVI Inscriptions: On the inside, Grr. in two lines, the first retr., the
second left-to-right(1): [b] Νεοκ[λ]εο[ς][/b], retr.(2) [b] Ι[/b] [b] Μελανθις[/b].
- CAVI Footnotes: (1)Lang says boustr., but the lines seem to me to be by
different hands; note especially the epsilons and nu's.
(2)enough surface seems to be preserved to show that the
final sigma was not written.
- CAVI Comments: NOT A VASE. Names-on-sherd (Lang) who rejects Vanderpool's
suggestion of an unfinished ostracon. The woman's name
occurs also on an unpublished vase (of the last quarter of
the sixth century?) in the Kanellopoulos Collection: see
- CAVI / AVI Data from Henry Immerwahr's Corpus of Attic Vase Inscriptions (CAVI), updated by Rudoph Wachter's Attic Vase Inscriptions (AVI)
Link to this record using the address https://www.beazley.ox.ac.uk/record/A36E7C2C-433A-44D3-9359-93942455FA81