9016656, ATHENIAN, Athens, Agora Museum, P15208
- Vase Number: 9016656
- Fabric: ATHENIAN
- Shape Name: AMPHORA, NECK, FRAGMENT
- Provenance: GREECE, ATHENS, AGORA
- Date: -500 to -450
- Current Collection: Athens, Agora Museum: P15208
- AVI Web: https://www.avi.unibas.ch/DB/searchform.html?ID=557
- AVI Record Number: 496
- CAVI Collection: Athens, Agora P 15,208.
- CAVI Lemma: Fr. of large unglazed storage amphora. From Athens. Unattributed. Second
quarter fifth (Lang). 490-450 (context). Close to 450 (letter forms).
- CAVI Subject: Undecorated.
- CAVI Inscriptions: On the outside of the wall, written on the sherd, Gr.: Ευμελις / ηκ[ε] ος
ταχος. / Αρκεσιμος. Above the upsilon of line one is a gamma; below the kappa of
the last line, an epsilon; below, in the field (according to pl. 2) a chi, and a
rho plus a diagonal line (iota?).
- CAVI Comments: Found with P 15,209, q.v. - Lang's reading: "Eumelis, come as quickly as you
can. Arkesimos." Lang also says that the ος ταχος was crowded in as an
afterthought. The feminine Eumelis is not known; Arkesimos is found in Eretria
(cf. Bechtel (1917)). - The problem is that the ancients do not sign letters on
the bottom. - For ηκε, V.&S. compare Ar., Peace 275: ηκε νυν ταχυ. - The
alphabet is Attic except for eta, but that may possibly be syllabic hε [[h(ε)]]
for he. Or mixed alphabet? - The Gr. may be amatory, cf. P 15,209.
- CAVI Number: 0496
- AVI Bibliography: Vanderpool and Stamires ms. — Lang (1976), B 7, pl. 2 (dr.). — AttScr (1990),
- CAVI / AVI Data from Henry Immerwahr's Corpus of Attic Vase Inscriptions (CAVI), updated by Rudoph Wachter's Attic Vase Inscriptions (AVI)
Link to this record using the address https://www.beazley.ox.ac.uk/record/8C579C04-FEF5-484E-B4B0-5487158DE004