2096, ATHENIAN, Athens, National Museum, A1891
- Vase Number: 2096
- Fabric: ATHENIAN
- Technique: RED-FIGURE
- Shape Name: PYXIS
- Provenance: GREECE, ATHENS
- Date: -450 to -400
- Inscriptions: Named: THALIA, CHORO, TERPSICHORA, MELPOMENE, OURANIA, KLEO, ERATO
- Decoration: Body: MUSES (THALIA, CHORO, TERPSICHORE, MELPOMENE, URANIA, KLIO, ERATO, ALL NAMED)
Lid: PATTERN AND FLORAL
- Current Collection: Athens, National Museum: A1891
- Publication Record: Archaiologikon Deltion: 18 (1963) 2, PL.34C
Bulletin de Correspondance Hellenique: 86 (1962), 646, FIGS.2-3, PL.23
Lexicon Iconographicum Mythologiae Classicae: III, PL.221, CHORO 3.1 (PART)
Roberts, S., The Attic Pyxis (Chicago, 1978): PL.76.2 (PART)
- AVI Web: https://www.avi.unibas.ch/DB/searchform.html?ID=2009
- AVI Record Number: 1882
- LIMC ID: 18624
- LIMC Web: http://ark.dasch.swiss/ark:/72163/080e-74ab5f5703a97-f
- CAVI Collection: Athens, Triti Ephoria A 1891.
- CAVI Lemma: RF pyxis with lid. From Athens, tomb in Aeolus Street. Unattributed. 430-420.
- CAVI Subject: Body: seven muses in three groupings.
- CAVI Inscriptions: Body: muse with lyre, standing; to right of her face: Θαλεια. Muse seated and
playing the flutes; above her head: Χορω. Muse standing and holding an
alabastron and lyre; not inscribed. - Seated muse playing the lyre; starting
above her head: Τερψιχορα. Standing muse holding out a short stick(?); to left
of her face, toward it, with the last letter below the penultimate: Μελπομεν|η.
- To right of M.'s left elbow under a hung-up satchel (tablets, no stylus) and
bag: Ορανια. - Standing muse holding out a wreath; to right of her face.: Κλεω.
Seated muse with kithara; above her head: Ερατω.
- CAVI Comments: Done from the text and some of the pictures. As Daux says, the relation of
the inscriptions to the figures is not altogether clear, as there is an unnamed
muse and an extra name not attached to a figure. But his suggestions that the
unnamed figure may be Apollo and that the extra inscription relates to the
satchel are hardly correct. Ionic alphabet.
- CAVI Number: 1882
- AVI Bibliography: Daux (1962), 644-45, figs. 2-3, pl. 21,1-2. — Queyrel (1988), 92/9 (listing
- CAVI / AVI Data from Henry Immerwahr's Corpus of Attic Vase Inscriptions (CAVI), updated by Rudoph Wachter's Attic Vase Inscriptions (AVI)
Link to this record using the address https://www.beazley.ox.ac.uk/record/6D05F479-2D19-40F7-B5E1-C6A08FE32D5F