3552, Poggio Civitate, CA 2/Courtyard building
- Record number: 3552
- Site: Poggio Civitate
- Building or zone: CA 2/Courtyard building
- Position: Ridge
- Roof element: Acroteria, animal statues
- Remarks: Fragment of large, nearly life-size front left horse hoof and lower leg, mounted on curved ridge tile (H 3) with finished front edge. Leg attached to curving vertical plaque (Th 2) which must have extended between all 4 legs, hollow inside, forming central support below statue. H hoof 6.9, W 7.3. H ankle 2.4, W 4.2. MPH leg with fetlock 9.7, W 5.2. Added walls between legs because held added weight as, e.g., rider on horse(?).
- Bibliography: Poggio Civitate 1970, p. 33, no. 15; Case e palazzi d'Etruria 1985, p. 113, 3.316; Newland 1994, pp. 58-59, no. 71; Winter 2009a, p. 207, 3.E.4.b
- Publication record: Case e palazzi d'Etruria
Poggio Civitate (Murlo, Siena): the Archaic Sanctuary. Catalogue of the exhibition, Florence-Siena, 1970
Symbols of Wealth and Power: Architectural Terracotta Decoration in Etruria and Central Italy, 640-510 B.C.
The akroterial sculpture and architectural terracottas from the Upper Building at Murlo
- Type of decoration: Horse hoof
- Current Collection: Antiquarium di Poggio Civitate: 67-79 110472
- Mouldmade: no
- Height: 21.8
- Width: 13.3
- MPD: 26.7
- Clay: 7.5YR 5/4
- Paint: Red paint on hoof and leg, tile right front and plaque by front legs 10R 4/8.
Link to this record using the address https://www.beazley.ox.ac.uk/record/679DC3D8-358E-4002-98BE-483053E0994D