9016472, ATHENIAN GEOMETRIC, Athens, Agora Museum, P4884
- Vase Number: 9016472
- Fabric: ATHENIAN GEOMETRIC
- Shape Name: PYXIS
- Provenance: GREECE, ATHENS, AGORA
- Date: -725 to -675
- Current Collection: Athens, Agora Museum: P4884
- AVI Web: https://www.avi.unibas.ch/DB/searchform.html?ID=366
- AVI Record Number: 324
- CAVI Collection: Athens, Agora P 4884.
- CAVI Lemma: Pyxis with lid. From Athens. Unattributed. Late eighth.
- CAVI Subject: Undecorated. Two pairs of tie holes.
- CAVI Inscriptions: On the lid and the rim: one pair of tie holes: straight Gr. lines. The other
pair has Χ.
- CAVI Comments: "The crosses and bars incised on the rims and lids of pyxides of the last
quarter of the eighth century (as XVI 1, fig. 50) do not necessarily imply a
knowledge of writing, and certainly cannot be interpreted as demonstrating any
knowledge of alphabetic writing. They are simply convenient symbols [of the
potters] who used them to mark the corresponding parts of the vase and its lid."
(Young). But writing was known in the late eighth cnetury.
- CAVI Number: 0324
- AVI Bibliography: Young (1939a), 76/XVI 1, figs. 49-50 (phot.). — AttScr (1990), no. 5.
- CAVI / AVI Data from Henry Immerwahr's Corpus of Attic Vase Inscriptions (CAVI), updated by Rudoph Wachter's Attic Vase Inscriptions (AVI)
Link to this record using the address https://www.beazley.ox.ac.uk/record/651DA1C6-6A8B-48CB-8183-E69418E783F5