9017587, ATHENIAN, Athens, Ceramicus
- Vase Number: 9017587
- Fabric: ATHENIAN
- Technique: BLACK-FIGURE
- Shape Name: AMPHORA, PANATHENAIC PRIZE FRAGMENT
- Provenance: GREECE, ATHENS, CERAMICUS
- Date: -400 to -300
- Decoration: A: COLUMN
- Current Collection: Athens, Ceramicus
- AVI Web: https://www.avi.unibas.ch/DB/searchform.html?ID=1863
- AVI Record Number: 1740
- CAVI Collection: Athens, Ceramicus.
- CAVI Lemma: Frs. of Panathenaic prize amphora. From Athens. Unattributed. 348/7:
- CAVI Subject: A: frs. include a portion of the right-hand column.
- CAVI Inscriptions: A: to the right of the column, kion.: Θε[οφ]ιλος αρχ[ω]ν vac.
- CAVI Comments: The inscription is on two of altogether six frs. Done from the photo. The
writing epigraphic (rather than calligraphic; but some thickening of apices).
Beazley says in AJA that this is the earliest instance of Athena facing right;
he is not sure that the vase belongs with the Nikomachos Group and it is not
listed in ABV. Ionic alphabet.
- CAVI Number: 1740
- AVI Bibliography: Photo AI Ker. 1551. — Smets (1936), ..../112. — Peters (1942), 146. — Beazley
(1943a), 457 (mention). — Frel (1973), 24, fig. 23.
- CAVI / AVI Data from Henry Immerwahr's Corpus of Attic Vase Inscriptions (CAVI), updated by Rudoph Wachter's Attic Vase Inscriptions (AVI)
Link to this record using the address https://www.beazley.ox.ac.uk/record/61E2EF4F-2CD6-4392-AF95-F78BCE5E6147