3546, Poggio Civitate, CA2I/Courtyard building
- Record number: 3546
- Site: Poggio Civitate
- Building or zone: CA2I/Courtyard building
- Position: Ridge
- Roof element: Acroteria, animal statues
- Comparanda: Similar modeling to 68-500.
- Remarks: Large piece of rear left leg and shank, probably belonging to sphinx. Hollow, handmade, lumpy inside, down to mid-thigh. Th wall 1.6, W leg 5.2. Modeling of leg muscles and bones with deep semicircular recess near elbow joint on both sides of leg.
- Bibliography: Case e palazzi d'Etruria 1985, p. 112, 3.307; Edlund-Berry 1992, p. 223, no. C.2; Newland 1994, pp. 49-50, no. 48; Winter 2009a, p. 206, 3.E.4.a
- Publication record: Case e palazzi d'Etruria
Symbols of Wealth and Power: Architectural Terracotta Decoration in Etruria and Central Italy, 640-510 B.C.
The akroterial sculpture and architectural terracottas from the Upper Building at Murlo
The seated and standing statue akroteria from Poggio Civitate (Murlo)
- Type of decoration: Sphinx (?)
- Current Collection: Antiquarium di Poggio Civitate: 68-505 110976
- Mouldmade: no
- Height: 40.5
- Width: 18.9
- MPD: 10.1
- Clay: 5YR 4/6
Link to this record using the address https://www.beazley.ox.ac.uk/record/6167989B-8143-4AE1-9045-563B8E775720