- Record number: 4037
- Site: Campania
- Roof element: Antefixes, heads
- Remarks: Gorgoneion antefix. Slightly concave shell with slightly convex tongues with raised borders, H bottommost tongue 6.4, W 2.9, + border 3.7. H top central tongue 7, W 4.1, + border 5.5, Th 2.8. H convex moulding 1.5, H recessed flat band 1. Diam volute eye 1.8, H head including beard 15.8. L lower fang 2.2. W tongue 3. H recessed base 5.4. Tall, curved cover tile. Bought from P. Arndt.
- Bibliography: Oroszlan 1935, p. 42, fig. 33; Hekler 1956, Pl. VII.12
- Publication record: A Szépmüveszeti Muzeum terrakottagyüjteményének antefixei
- Type of decoration: Gorgoneion
- Current Collection: Szépmüveszeti Muzeum: T.83
- Mouldmade: yes
- Height: 32.2
- Width: 32.8
- Clay: 5YR 6/6
- Paint: Cream slip on surface 10YR 7/2. Brown-black: alternating outline of tongues (1st, 3rd, etc.), arrows on rounded moulding, hair, eyebrows, lids, pupils, alternating strands of beard, upper band on base, upper band of meander, volute dot 7.5YR 3/2. Red: alternating outlines of tongues, arrows on rounded moulding, outline stripes on flat band and 4 horizontal stripes near volute, volute outlines, lips, teeth outlines, fang outlines, tongue, alternating beard strands, top of chiton and decoration of row of dots, wavy line, row of dots, band across bottom of base and upwards hooking band of meander 7.5R 4/4.
- Condition: Complete example except for left one-third of base and right lowest tongue.
- Height head: 15.8
- Distance outer eyes: 9.4
- Width nose bottom: 3.8
- Width mouth: 8.1
- Height antefix base: 5.4
- Outer H cover tile: 16
- Outer W cover tile: 21.5
- Thickness tile: 5-5.5
Link to this record using the address https://www.beazley.ox.ac.uk/record/54227EE8-E1F8-42D6-B987-4F59C02967FC