1343, Rome, Forum Romanum - Temple of Castor & Pollux?
- Record number: 1343
- Site: Rome
- Building or zone: Forum Romanum - Temple of Castor & Pollux?
- Roof element: Antefixes, full figure?
- Comparanda: Gabii Harpy in Rome, MNR. Civita Castellana, Vignale grande. Lacus Iuturnae sphinx fragment: Phillips 1989a. See Opgenhaffen 2011, fig. 9c & e
- Remarks: Fragment of middle section of sickle-shaped wing (W 7.9) with flat surface painted with curving bands alternating red (W 1.7)/white (W 1.7) with black central line/red/white with black central line, indicating feathers. Side edges finished & painted black, with scar from attached element at tip. On back, lumpy, uneven surface with square strut.
- Bibliography: Grønne 1990, p. 114, no. 34, fig. 19; Grønne 1992, p. 166, JJ-046 CV 87-38.2, 87-41.2, 87-41.8, pl. III.3; Fischer-Hansen 2008, p. 294, JJ-123, pl. 222, fig. 258
- Publication record: Fragments of architectural terracottas from the first temple of Castor and Pollux on the Forum Romanum
The architectural terracottas
Votive and architectural terracottas; Tiles (co-authored with C. Grønne)
- Associated elements: Cat. nos. 1-33, 35-38
- Type of decoration: Siren wing?
- Current Collection: Danish Academy: CV 7.6; 7.8 (CV 87-38.2, CV-41,2, CV 41.8)
- Mouldmade: no
- Height: 11.5
- Width: 10.4
- MPD: 4.9
- Clay: 10YR 7/4
- Paint: White, red, black
- Condition: 3 joining fragments, with finished outer edges
Link to this record using the address https://www.beazley.ox.ac.uk/record/51269910-733A-4FFD-82BF-32F7593BDB3C