- Record number: 4878
- Site: Cumae
- Roof element: Mould patrix?
- Comparanda: Copenhagen NCG HIN 157 (H.38)
- Remarks: No tile backer = mould patrix? Fairly crisp details. Thick raised band (W ca. 2.5) around edges, rounded across top. Above horizontal base, row of moulded tongues (H 2.7-2.9). Recessed above this is flat narrow band rising at center into banded volutes with moulded eyes. On top of volutes, forepaws of 2 sphinx bodies, shown in profile in heraldic pose, with shared frontal female head in polos. Tails rise from haunches & curve up & out, ending in down-turned oval end. Donated from Victoria and Albert Museum.
- Type of decoration: Double sphinx
- Current Collection: British Museum: 1982 10-5 13
- Mouldmade: yes
- Height: 28.6
- Width: 28.4
- MPD: 4.5
- Clay: Golden brown
- Height head: 6.3
- Height face: 4.5
Link to this record using the address https://www.beazley.ox.ac.uk/record/397D438D-ACCE-4012-8494-B7A36DB9859C