1616, ATHENIAN, Bryn Mawr (PA), Bryn Mawr College, P.976
- Vase Number: 1616
- Fabric: ATHENIAN
- Technique: RED-FIGURE
- Shape Name: AMPHORA, BELLY, FRAGMENT
- Date: -525 to -475
- Inscriptions: Named: AIAS
- Decoration: A: AJAX (NAMED) AND ACHILLES, PLAYING, AND ATHENA
- Current Collection: Bryn Mawr (PA), Bryn Mawr College: P.976 (View on Bryn Mawr College site)
- Publication Record: Corpus Vasorum Antiquorum: BRYN MAWR, BRYN MAWR COLLEGE, 44, PL.(610) 30.2 View Whole CVA Plates
PHOTOGRAPH(S) IN THE BEAZLEY ARCHIVE: 1
- AVI Web: https://www.avi.unibas.ch/DB/searchform.html?ID=3143
- AVI Record Number: 2989
- LIMC ID: 44198
- LIMC Web: http://ark.dasch.swiss/ark:/72163/080e-7615e787dba5d-8
- Bryn Mawr College Link: http://triarte.brynmawr.edu/objects-1/info/158229
- CAVI Collection: Bryn Mawr P 976.
- CAVI Lemma: Fr. of large RF panel amphora. From the province of Syracuse, acquired 1963.
Contemporary with the Nikoxenos Painter; Coarse style. Last quarter sixth. Late
- CAVI Subject: A: Beazley in CB: Ajax and Achilles playing a board game, with Athena
watching: at the upper left, part of her sleeve; part of her spear; at right,
beard and shouldered spears of Ajax, with his raised hand making the sign for
- CAVI Inscriptions: A: to left of the hand, facing Ajax: Αιας, retr.
- CAVI Comments: From the body. Beazley interpreted the scene after London E 160, by the
Nikoxenos Painter, ARV 222/19, BSA 19, pls. 17,2, 19, and p. 234.
- CAVI Number: 2989
- AVI Bibliography: CB (1931?63), iii, 3 n. 1. ? A. Ashmead and K. Phillips, Jr., CVA Bryn Mawr
1, USA 13 (1971), pl. 30,2.
- CAVI / AVI Data from Henry Immerwahr's Corpus of Attic Vase Inscriptions (CAVI), updated by Rudoph Wachter's Attic Vase Inscriptions (AVI)
Link to this record using the address https://www.beazley.ox.ac.uk/record/26A1EDA8-7AFA-4283-8D1E-E77EE221186C