- Record number: 7924
- Site: Veii?
- Position: Ridge
- Roof element: Acroteria, human statues
- Remarks: Fragmentary small head of a male figure with long hair bound with a double fillet. The hair falls in long wavy strands on the forehead, ending in curls (tips chipped) but is pulled back across the crown of the head and held in place by two thin, rounded bands forming a double fillet. The hair at the crown and falling behind the ears onto the back of the neck falls in wavy strands. Face modelled with high cheekbones, flat cheeks on side, with deep undercutting of the mouth, continuing with subtle vertical ridge at sides of mouth, slight cleft of chin. Right eyeball flat, left more rounded. Sulcus medianus indicated below nose. Ears slightly different with forked inner helix, tragus and antitragus. There is a hole for a meniskos (Diam .09 at top, .05 at bottom) in the top of the head, off center to proper right, visible in the break. Outward curve of neck on right side may indicate that right shoulder was lifted, left down. Many inclusions including dark red pebbles, some quite large, augite, mica, gray stone; many chips where inclusions have burst. Interior has three cracks, two pairs of finger marks (1 pair of fingernail impressions on left, two finger tips impressions on right). Deep folds of clay in center behind nose and mouth. There is another crack on the exterior across the left cheek. Walls not uniform, varying from 1-1.7.
- Bibliography: Walters 1903, p. 342, D 217; E. Richardson, The Etruscans. Their Art and Civilisation (1964), p. 101, pl. 6; Riis 1981; Winter & Lulof 2011
- Publication record: Catalog of terracottas in the British Museum
Etruscan types of heads
Young Apollo: a new reconstruction of an acroterial statue from Veii
- Type of decoration: Young male head (boy)
- Current Collection: British Museum: GR 1852.1-12.4 D 217
- Mouldmade: no
- Height: 14.7
- Width: 12
- MPD: 14.4
- Clay: 7.5YR 7/4 surface, 7.5YR 6/3 interior
- Paint: Red 10R 4/4 on face, pink lips 10R 6/4, red 5R 4/6 on fillet, dark brown-red hair 7.5R 3/2-3/3. Eyelids and eyebrows black, iris dark brown, pupil black, white. Painted directly on clay, no slip. Paint best preserved on right side of face
- Condition: Broken through base of neck; missing large section of back of head. Patch of green behind left ear on top of break surface: bronze?
- Height head: 11.1
- Height face: 10.1
- Distance outer eyes: 7.3
- Width nose bottom: 2.4
- Width mouth: 3.6
Link to this record using the address https://www.beazley.ox.ac.uk/record/21907A7A-BB51-4358-81AF-8290762D6602