- Record number: 4033
- Site: Campania
- Roof element: Antefixes, floral
- Remarks: Floral antefix with pendent palmette. Fairly flat shell of slightly convex tongues with raised borders. H lowermost tongue 4.3, W 2.1 +borders 3. H central tongue 5.6, W 3, + border 4. Th 3.7. H rounded moulding 1.6. H recessed flat band equal to volute band 1.4. Diam volute eyes: lower 1.7, central 1.8. W palmette 11.3, H central leaf including border 5.4, W 2.5, + border 3.7. H floral element 13.4. H recessed bottom base 4.4, W 17.7. Curved cover tile attached at bottom of plaque, H 15.5, W 17.3, Th 2.5. Beveled edge at bottom of plaque inside cover tile, partly trimmed, or worn down, after firing. Back of plaque flat and smooth. W diagonal bands on rounded moulding, W 3.1. 1st and 5th diagonal bands W 3.8. Piece bought from P. Arndt.
- Bibliography: Oroszlan 1935, ATGy G10; Castiglione 1963, 56.VI.18
- Publication record: A Szépmüveszeti Muzeum terrakottagyüjteményének antefixei
Quelques têtes de terre cuite hellénistiques
- Type of decoration: Pendent palmette
- Current Collection: Szépmüveszeti Muzeum: T.79
- Mouldmade: yes
- Height: 26
- Width: 27.4
- Clay: 7.5YR 6/6
- Paint: Black-brown band painted around cover tile. Cream slip on surface 10YR 7/3. Black faded to brown: outlines of alternating tongues (2nd, 4th) wide diagonal bands on rounded moulding, volute eyes, heart, volute band, outline of 2nd, 4th, 6th palmette leaf, on base 1st, 5th diagonal bands 7.5YR 5/4. Red: outline of alternating tongues (1st, 3rd) wide diagonal bands on rounded moulding, ground for floral element, outline of volute band and eye, edges of horizontal band, outline of 1st, 3rd, 5th, 7th palmette leaves, on base, 2nd stripe across top, below white, and across bottom, 3rd wide diagonal band 5YR 4/3.
- Condition: Complete except for chips from top and right edges, missing cover tile.
- Height floral element: 13.4
- Height palmette: 5.4
- Width palmette: 11.3
- Height antefix base: 4.4
- Width antefix base: 17.7
- Outer H cover tile: 15.5
- Outer W cover tile: 17.3
- Thickness tile: 2.5
Link to this record using the address https://www.beazley.ox.ac.uk/record/1E3D7C02-5E43-4ECA-B0B2-E71150F07FD4