231036, ATHENIAN, Exeter, University
- Vase Number: 231036
- Fabric: ATHENIAN
- Technique: RED-FIGURE
- Shape Name: PELIKE
- Date: -400 to -300
- Inscriptions: Named: AGAMEMNONOS, ORESTES (?), ELEKTRA (?)
- Attributed To: JENA P by SHEFTON
- Decoration: A: ORESTES, CUTTING LOCK OF HAIR, AND ELECTRA, AT TOMB OF AGAMEMNON (NAMED), YOUTHS SEATED, WITH CHLAMYDES AND SPEARS, WOMEN
B: DRAPED YOUTHS
- Current Collection: Exeter, University
- Publication Record: Beazley, J.D., Attic Red-Figure Vase-Painters, 2nd edition (Oxford, 1963): 1516.80
Boardman, J., Athenian Red Figure Vases, The Classical Period (London, 1989): FIG.361 (A)
Bulletin of the Institute of Classical Studies: 56.1 (2013) FRONTCOVER, 68-70, FIGS. 1-3 (COLOUR OF PARTS OF A)
Carpenter, T.H., with Mannack, T. and Mendonca, M., Beazley Addenda, 2nd edition (Oxford, 1989): 384
Cook, R.M., Greek Painted Pottery (London, 1966): PL.50 (A)
Cook, R.M., Greek Painted Pottery 3rd ed. (London, 1997): PL.50 (A)
Shapiro H.A., Myth into Art, Poet and Painter in Classical Athens (London, 1994): 133, FIG.93 (A)
- AVI Web: https://www.avi.unibas.ch/DB/searchform.html?ID=3639
- AVI Record Number: 3461
- CAVI Collection: Exeter, University.
- CAVI Lemma: Fragmentary RF pelike. Jena Painter (see ARV 1510 and 1516). Ca. 400. 380
- CAVI Subject: A: Orestes and Electra at the tomb of Agamemnon: at upper left, a reclining
youth; below, to left of the tomb: head of a seated girl, and Orestes who is
cutting off a lock of his hair; on the steps of the tomb at right: Pylades
seated, with spears; at right, two women to left; the larger one, nearer the
tomb, holds a water jar. B: three youths.
- CAVI Inscriptions: A: On the middle step of the tomb's three-stepped base, in BG: [Αγα]μεμνονος.
The names of Orestes and Electra seem also inscribed: above the girl with the
water jar, horizontal: Elektra. No other inscription shows and Shapiro does not
mention any other. But Robertson mentions the inscription, by mistake, of "a
second girl": Ismene (not Chrysothemis as expected).
- CAVI Comments: Typical fourth-century writing.
- CAVI Number: 3461
- AVI Bibliography: R.M. Cook (1960), 186, pl. 50 (A). — ARV (1963), 1516/80. — Shefton
(1982), 177f. — Lissarrague (1988), 101. — Add. (1989), 384. — Boardman
(1989), fig. 361. — AttScr (1990), no. 829. — Robertson (1992), 269 and 321 n.
29. — Shapiro (1994), 133-34, fig. 93 (A).
- CAVI / AVI Data from Henry Immerwahr's Corpus of Attic Vase Inscriptions (CAVI), updated by Rudoph Wachter's Attic Vase Inscriptions (AVI)
Link to this record using the address https://www.beazley.ox.ac.uk/record/1DBF2CB6-BC0D-4331-9B01-D09C5ED438D4