- Record number: 4038
- Site: Campania
- Roof element: Acroteria(?)
- Remarks: Gorgoneion acroterion(?). Not antefix, instead of cover tile has tall, rectangular element on back at left side with broken left edge, therefore end piece for raking sima(??) at right corner of pediment, facing eaves: false antefix. Deeply curved shell of slightly convex tongues with raised border. H lowermost tongue 4.9, W 2.8, + border 3.8. H central tongue 6.2, W 4.1, + border 5.1. Th tongue 2.6. H rounded moulding 1.5. H recessed flat band 1. Diam volute eye 2. H head including beard 15.8. Fangs broken off. W tongue 2.8. W recessed base 6.9 at left, 6.1 at right near break. Rectangular projection on back lower right side H 15.7, W 12.6, 10.2, D 3.8. No earrings. Very protruding fangs, broken off. Bought from P. Arndt.
- Bibliography: Oroszlan 1935, p. 42, no. 2, fig. 34; Szilagyi 1988, p. 72, 67.k
- Publication record: A Szépmüveszeti Muzeum terrakottagyüjteményének antefixei
- Type of decoration: Gorgoneion
- Current Collection: Szépmüveszeti Muzeum: T.84
- Mouldmade: yes
- Height: 33.1
- Width: 32
- Clay: 7.5YR 6/6
- Paint: Red-purple: alternating outlines of tongues, 2 wide diagonal bands on rounded moulding, outline of flat band and volutes, ears, lips, teeth outlines, tongue, alternating beard strands, 2 dot rosettes and central dot on chiton, 2 upright open lotus flowers, volute band and pendent central closed lotus flower 5R 3/2. Cream slip on surface 10YR 7/2. Charcoal: outline of alternating tongues (2nd, 4th) and inside red outlines of 1st, 3rd, etc, long diagonal band on rounded moulding, volute eyes, hair, lines on forehead, brows, lids, pupils, alternating beard strands, inner calyxes of lotuses and central bottom volute bands on base.
- Condition: Complete example except for back attachment and restored lower right corner.
- Height head: 15.8
- Distance outer eyes: 9.1
- Width nose bottom: 3.7
- Width mouth: 7.8
Link to this record using the address https://www.beazley.ox.ac.uk/record/0A5C3C30-3BE7-4602-B026-BA387FE816C0