Statues of women serving as columns. The concept is derived from the Near East and was applied on archaic Treasuries at Delphi, and notably in the south porch of the Erechtheion on the Athenian Acropolis in the later 5th century BC. The name means 'women of Caryae' (a city in southern Greece) but the significance of this is not clear unless it refers to the basket-like headdress which resembles a column capital.
Above: View of the porch of the Erechtheion. © Spyros Tsavdroglou, Mauro Pacciarelli Licence Plate 11 UK 1007 125