9016822, ATHENIAN, Athens, Agora Museum, P20217
- Vase Number: 9016822
- Fabric: ATHENIAN
- Technique: RED-FIGURE
- Shape Name: SKYPHOS FRAGMENT
- Provenance: GREECE, ATHENS, AGORA
- Date: -475 to -425
- Decoration: A: ATHLETE, DISKOBOLOS AT POST OR STELE
- Current Collection: Athens, Agora Museum: P20217
- AVI Web: https://www.avi.unibas.ch/DB/searchform.html?ID=649
- AVI Record Number: 574
- CAVI Collection: Athens, Agora P 20,217.
- CAVI Lemma: Fr. of RF skyphos. From Athens, Agora B 18. Unattributed. Second or third
quarter fifth. Probably early fifth (Moore).
- CAVI Subject: Upper part of a discobolus. Top of a stele before him.
- CAVI Inscriptions: High above the stele, horizontal and stoich., faded: Εγε[--] | Πυθ[--].
- CAVI Comments: A kalos-name with patronymic? Cf. καλως ΕΓΕΛΕΩΣ, RF bell krater New York
07.286.81 by the Achilles Painter, ARV 991/61, 1582, 1677? But according to
Moore this vase is considerably earlier than the Achilles Ptr. The sketch on her
p. 308 gives the gamma as looking like lambda 5. Hence Ελε[--] is perhaps more
likely; this root is often spelled without heta. The ph. does not show the
inscriptions. Moore does not explain the inscriptions. Inscriptions in red.
- CAVI Number: 0574
- AVI Bibliography: Museum card. — Moore (1997), 308/1333, pl. 124.
- CAVI / AVI Data from Henry Immerwahr's Corpus of Attic Vase Inscriptions (CAVI), updated by Rudoph Wachter's Attic Vase Inscriptions (AVI)
Link to this record using the address https://www.beazley.ox.ac.uk/record/FF0DD28E-82E8-4D36-A869-E2C8EF9A29BE