9016727, ATHENIAN, Athens, Agora Museum, P17123
- Vase Number: 9016727
- Fabric: ATHENIAN
- Technique: BLACK GLAZE
- Shape Name: SKYPHOS FRAGMENT
- Provenance: GREECE, ATHENS, AGORA
- Date: -475 to -425
- Current Collection: Athens, Agora Museum: P17123
- AVI Web: https://www.avi.unibas.ch/DB/searchform.html?ID=592
- AVI Record Number: 525
- CAVI Collection: Athens, Agora P 17,123.
- CAVI Lemma: Fr. from base and lower body BG skyphos. From Athens. Unattributed. Third
- CAVI Subject: Rays above the foot.
- CAVI Inscriptions: On the bottom, circular Gr.: Σικελα καταπυγ[αινα] v.
- CAVI Comments: The letters are hard to classify, since they have been in part overwritten
and erased. According to Vanderpool the writer first wrote καταγυ, then
corrected to καταπυγ; according to V.&S. and Lang he first wrote κατπυ (this
version may be right). Finally an attempt was made to erase the inscription;
Vanderpool says this happened in a number of καταπυγων inscriptions. For the
form καταπυγαινα, see Hesp. 22 (1953) 216-17. Lang and V.&S. print Σικελα, as
does LGPN ii, but Pape has Σικελη, `the Sicilian woman.' The Doric form shows
that she really was a foreigner.
- CAVI Number: 0525
- AVI Bibliography: Vanderpool and Stamires ms. — Vanderpool (1953), 32/7, fig. 2 and pl. 66,b. —
Lang (1976), 14/C 27, pl. 6 (dr.).
- CAVI / AVI Data from Henry Immerwahr's Corpus of Attic Vase Inscriptions (CAVI), updated by Rudoph Wachter's Attic Vase Inscriptions (AVI)
Link to this record using the address https://www.beazley.ox.ac.uk/record/AF4DEA07-7215-44CC-9FE6-1BEB318A6AD4