758, ATHENIAN, Cleveland (OH), Museum of Art, Luzern, market, Havana, Lagunillas, Geneva, market, Hirsch, 65.78
- Vase Number: 758
- Fabric: ATHENIAN
- Technique: BLACK-FIGURE
- Shape Name: CUP SIANA
- Date: -575 to -525
- Decoration: A: HORSEMAN BETWEEN ONLOOKERS
B: WARRIOR AND YOUTH WITH WREATH (ETEOKLES AND POLYNEIKES ?), ONLOOKERS (DRAPED MEN AND YOUTHS), HORSEMAN, BIRD
I: WARRIORS, FIGHTING
Under handle: SWAN
- Current Collection: Cleveland (OH), Museum of Art: 65.78
- Previous Collections:
- Geneva, market, Hirsch
- Havana, Lagunillas
- Luzern, market
- Publication Record: Bulletin of the Cleveland Museum of Art: 53 (1966), 151 (B)
Corpus Vasorum Antiquorum: CLEVELAND, MUSEUM OF ART 1, 14-15, PLS.(701,702) 21.1-4, 22.2 View Whole CVA Plates
PHOTOGRAPH(S) IN THE BEAZLEY ARCHIVE: 4 (I, B)
- AVI Web: https://www.avi.unibas.ch/DB/searchform.html?ID=3374
- AVI Record Number: 3203
- LIMC ID: 44143
- LIMC Web: http://ark.dasch.swiss/ark:/72163/080e-76153431d9fa8-0
- CAVI Collection: Cleveland 65.78.
- CAVI Lemma: BF Siana cup. Unattributed. Second quarter sixth. 575-550 (Boulter).
- CAVI Subject: Int.: duel of two warriors kneeling on the exergue line. A: a bearded
horseman between three and four approaching males. B: in the center, a warrior
between four and one approaching males; at far right, a horseman.
- CAVI Inscriptions: Nonsense: imitation inscriptions: A: under the horse's belly: seven letters.
Behind the horseman's back: 6-7 letters. Between the heads of two figures
approaching from the right: 4-6 letters. B: to right of the heads of the two
left-most figures: two nonsense inscriptions. Similar, to left and right of a
warrior's head, probably `naming' the figures next to him: 3-4 and 5 letters.
Between a youth approaching from the right and a horse's head: five letters.
Under the horse's belly: six(?) letters.
- CAVI Comments: Overlap. - The inscriptions in part imitate naming inscriptions. The photos.
are very small and I am not sure that there are any real letter forms among the
- CAVI Number: 3203
- AVI Bibliography: Cooney (1966), 151 (ill.). — C.G. Boulter, CVA Cleveland 1, USA 15 (1971),
pls. 21 and 22,2.
- CAVI / AVI Data from Henry Immerwahr's Corpus of Attic Vase Inscriptions (CAVI), updated by Rudoph Wachter's Attic Vase Inscriptions (AVI)
Link to this record using the address https://www.beazley.ox.ac.uk/record/0C36A7A2-E389-4CD2-ACCD-4C0B5D39CDD3