Cast Gallery catalogue number: D092
The satyr Marsyas plays the pipes for Apollo, whom he had challenged to a musical contest. Between them stands a Scythian who will flay Marsyas when he is (inevitably) defeated, for daring to challenge a god.
- Plaster cast: Height: 97cm.
- Copy of part of a marble relief.
- The relief:
- is from the base of a statue by Praxiteles.
- was made in about 330 BC, perhaps by Praxiteles himself or by a sculptor from his workshop.
- was found at Mantinea in southern Greece, in 1887.
- is now in Athens, National Museum, 215-217.